Archdiocese Launches Program To Protect The Abused

Friday 29th, June 2012 / 09:03 Published by

Archbishop Patrick Pinder

Catholic Archbishop Patrick Pinder said he would never tolerate any abuse within his Archdiocese and added that he knows of no one in the local Catholic ministry against whom any allegations of sexual abuse exist.

His comments came amid allegations of abuse that have swirled in various circles.

Pinder said it is unfortunate that there are some members of the Order of St. Benedict against whom allegations of sexual abuse have risen.

The archbishop said in a statement, “The Benedictines (Order of St. Benedict) had a long and distinguished association with The Bahamas which extended over a period of 120 years. They have done a tremendous amount of good for the religious and social development of this community, particularly in education.”

Pinder said he would never tolerate abusive behavior period — whether sexual or otherwise.

Referring to allegations against some members of the Order of St. Benedict, the archbishop said, “This casts aspersions on their colleagues, the vast majority of whom were men of excellent character and exemplary virtue.

“This is a sad development.” Pinder said he remains hopeful and prayerful that reconciliation can be achieved for those affected.

“I am thoroughly committed to maintaining safe environments for children and vulnerable adults in our community,” he said.

“In support of this, we have launched, here in the Archdiocese, the Virtus program for the protection of God’s children.”

The Virtus program, according to Virtus.org, identifies best practices designed to help prevent “wrongdoing and promote right doing within religious organizations”.

For more than a decade now, the international Catholic Church has been rife with allegations of sexual abuse brought against priests.

Some of the most senior officials in the Catholic Church in the United States and elsewhere have for years been accused of covering up reports of abuse and transferring clergy against whom those reports were made.

Last year, a group of victims abused by Catholic priests filed a formal complain to the International Criminal Court accusing the pope, the Vatican secretary of state and other senior officials of crimes against humanity.

The Catholic Church has spent years trying to sanitize its image amid the serious reports of sexual abuse and widespread cover up involving church officials.

Travis Cartwright-Carroll
The Nassau Guardian

Share
, ,

3 Comments on “Archdiocese Launches Program To Protect The Abused

  • http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/19/onetime-priest-now-crusades-for-abuse-victims-suing-catholic-church/

    Quote:

    “The breaking point came in 1997. Wall was in Rome, studying for a master’s of divinity degree. His abbot called from Minnesota to tell him he was being posted to the Bahamas.

    It was not the dream job it might sound like.

    Wall says that the Bahamas was where Saint John’s was sending priests it had to keep away from people because of abuse allegations. Richards, the abbey’s spokesman, flatly denies the charge.

    “I basically was going to be a prison warden,” Wall says.”

    Reply
  • While it is sad, historically a number of priests from St. John’s Abbey in Minnesota have been stationed in the Bahamas after getting in trouble for promiscuity. These men are listed, and their misdeeds documented by a former victim of abuse at behindthepinecurtain.com.

    This monastery needs to be investigated by the Vatican…the archbishop is on the right track, but such programs have been insufficient thus far. We need a more thorough clean up…

    How do we know if such allegations, such has those against Mel Taylor are true or not? Is there fire where there is smoke? An investigation would help cut through the general denial and dishonesty St. John’s Abbey has been notorious for.

    Reply
  • The only way to get the sex abuse of children and the covering up of these crimes stopped, within the Catholic church system, is to hold accountable those who are responsible for committing these crimes against humanity.

    This systemic abuse goes way to the top, which includes the Pope and other high ranking officials at the Vatican. The bishops’ child protection policies” do not work, because there is no punishment for the bishops who are in charge who do not follow their own rules.

    This massive world wide abuse and cover up is still going on today, therefore children are not safe within this environment,

    Hopefully the prosecutor, of the “International Criminal Court” at the Hague, will look at our case. There is plenty of evidence.

    Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, USA, 636-433-2511
    snapjudy@gmail.com
    (SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims.
    SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 12,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers and increasingly, victims who were assaulted in a wide range of institutional settings like summer camps, athletic programs, Boy Scouts, etc. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Bahamian Project

Like Us