Going keto in the Bahamas? We’ve got low-carb snack ideas to keep you satisfied.
Keto can mean different things to different people, but is widely described as a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. The healthiest way to maintain a keto diet is to focus on eating good quality proteins and limiting carbohydrate intake.
A common mistake people make when attempting the keto diet, is focusing on only animal proteins and fat. This is not a sustainable way of mantaining the keto diet and can cause health issues.
A low carb lifestyle doesn’t have to mean boring and bland. Keep reading for easy and delicious keto snacks.
Simply replace a wrap or tortilla with a fresh collard leaf. The bigger the better! Alternatively, you can layer several smaller leaves to make one large wrap. Once you’ve selected your collard leaves, be sure to wash them thoroughly and cut a small v to remove thick stem.
To prepare a collard wrap:
- Spread a thin layer of mustard onto the collard leaves.
- Use your favorite fillings, be careful not to overfill.
- Gently fold in the sides of the collard leaves and roll into a wrap. If desired, secure with toothpicks and cut in half.
Stuff your favorite sandwich fillings into fresh crunchy cucumber boats. Wash your cucumber first and then slice long ways down the middle. Using a spoon, gently scrape out the cucumber’s seedy middle, creating a well in the cucumber.
Zero Waste Tip: Add cucumber filling to a large jar of water and refridegate overnight. In the morning, strain into a water bottle. If desired, add a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy refreshing cucumber water!
To prepare cucumber boats:
- Cut hollowed cucumber in half, making two “boats” out of each side.
- Smear dairy-free cream cheese into the wells and sprinkle in some ‘everything but the bagel’ seasoning.
- Layer in your favorite sandwich toppings & enjoy!
Bonus tip: Turn it into a salad!
Turn your plate, wrap or sandwich into a healthier and keto-friendly meal by making it a salad.
Start with a bed of greens. We like massaged kale, spinach, arugula and romain. Try mixing different greens together or adding crunchy purple or green cabbage into the mix!
- Add your burger and all the fixings.
- Top with your favorite chicken salad.
- Use your favorite sub sandwich fillings.
- Add your jerk chicken and veggies.