Guava duff in minutes? Well, not exactly.
This fake-it recipe is easy, delicious, and only takes a few minutes to prepare. It’s also a much lighter version without all the white sugar, eggs and replaces butter with heart-healthy almond butter.
Mug cakes are easy, shortcut cakes that are microwaved in a mug rather than baked in the oven. They’re single-serve and highly addictive.
This mug cake variety is a play on the famous Bahamian dessert Guava Duff. The sweet and tropical guava and a generous dollop of whipped cream on top will remind your tastebuds of hot fresh guava duff.
Be sure to use a microwave-safe mug and for even easier clean-up, spray the mug with butter-flavored cooking spray before adding your ingredients.
Customize the sweetness to your liking by adding more or less maple syrup. You can also add up to two tablespoons of guava if you like it really fruity! If you’re gluten-free, sub the all-purpose flour for a 1-for-1 gluten-free blend. For a non-dairy version, replace the milk with a non-dairy version.
Guava Duff Mug Cake
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, can sub gluten-free
2 tablespoons smooth & runny almond butter
2 tablespoons of milk, can sub for dairy-free
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1 tablespoon guava jelly
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Butter flavored non-stick spray
Whipped cream, can sub for dairy-free
- Spray a microwave-safe coffee mug with non-stick butter-flavored spray.
- Combine wet ingredients in the mug: milk, pineapple juice, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, a pinch of cinnamon & salt. Mix until just combined, leaving no lumps of flour but be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in guava jelly.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and let sit for 1 minute before topping with whipped cream.