Mason jars are the perfect container to use to keep your salad fresh and crisp. There’s a bit of a trick to how you assemble it, though. But don’t worry, I’m here to help!
Basically, you’ll be building your salad backwards (dressing first) and add ingredients layer by layer into the mason jar. When you start by adding the liquid at the bottom of the jar, this keeps the lettuce and other toppings from getting soggy.
First, you’ll need to grab a mason jar. Next, you’ll want to layer you salad in the following order. I included a few tips, along with some of my favorite ingredients!
- Dressing: Use whatever you like! Just not too much or no matter what container you use, you’ll still have soggy salad.
- Grains: Optional, but great to use when you want to add more macros to your salad. Grains also add fiber, which help to keep you fuller longer. I like brown rice, quinoa or short noodles.
- Veggies: Chop, dice, slice or spiralize cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini or carrots.
- Lettuce or Greens: I like to cut my greens with kitchen scissors before using them in salads. It helps to cut down the chewing time and you can pack more into your mason jar. My favorites are romaine, butter, kale, arugula and cabbage.
- Toppings: Totally optional, but I love crunch! Try sunflower seeds, chopped or whole nuts, granola, croutons or cheese.
After that, seal your lid and your mason jar salad is ready to be taken on-the-go or put into the fridge for later. When you’re ready to eat it, just dump the contents into a bowl or onto a plate, mix & enjoy!
Mason jar salads can be super simple or you can get really fancy! They’re also great for meal prep! If we inspired you to make a mason jar salad, be sure to share a pic and tag us so we can see your creation!